Sunday, September 11, 2016

John's Big Bad Breakfast

One of my favorite meals to make AND eat is a big breakfast on a weekend morning. I got a chance to do that over the weekend as we had house guests. The big breakfast needed to be gluten-free. I wanted to make one of my favorites, the breakfast casserole. It usually uses a layer of bread on the bottom, but omitting the bread still makes a very tasty egg casserole. I started making it without the bread several years ago when we were cutting out the carbs. 


I start by browning a pound of breakfast sausage. 



Whisk up 10 eggs with about a cup of milk. 


Spread the cooked sausage over the bottom of a greased baking dish (I use nonstick spray). 


Cover the sausage with a mix of shredded Swiss & cheddar cheese. 


Pour the egg mixture evenly over the cheese & sausage. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes. 


More $1.99 peppered bacon! I'll cook that in the oven since it's already on. 
Cover cookie trays with foil and lay down the bacon. Luckily, there's an equal number of pieces (9) on each sheet!


I diced up a few potatoes to make some home fries cooked in peppered bacon grease. I season them up with a mixture of seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. I cover them to start so they'll cook a little better, then stir them up and get them crispy on the outside. I also like to use leftover baked potatoes for this. It gives them a really deep potato flavor. 


Sometimes I'll add some diced onion and some diced green peppers, but not today. 



Bacon is done! I also uncovered the casserole so it can brown a little. 


The finished breakfast casserole. Everything tasted great. I love big breakfast!


No comments:

Post a Comment