Sunday, July 17, 2016

Eating Out -Fong's Pizza

For years we've heard about Fong's Pizza. But being downtown Des Moines, with its parking challenges, we've never been. 

Yesterday we went to Altoona for the Camel, Zebra and Ostrich races. 




They were fun, but crazy. People who never go to the track are there en mass. 

After the craziness getting out of the parking lot, we were ready for dinner.  They opened a new Fong's in Ankeny so we decided to give it a try. 


It's in a new development that our gps didn't recognize. John looked at the map on my phone and got us there easily. 




It has a "Chinese restaurant in a movie" vibe. The waiter kind of ambled up and took our drink order. I got water and John ordered a cherry coke. 


Waiter: Do you want it the way I make it?

John: However it's done. 

Waiter: I make it with real cherry syrup!

Then he was gone. 

We ordered the infamous crab rangoon pizza. The choice was a ten inch or a sixteen inch. I was surprised there wasn't an in between choice. We got the smaller one. 

 

It came out fast and hot. The crust was cracker crisp. It was a little sweet for my taste. It was good, but I don't think I'll be running back for it anytime soon.

I liked it better than Jo did, but I would agree that I wouldn't rank it up there as one of my favorites. I like my pizza meaty, cheesy, and saucy. But I'm glad we finally tried it. And it was a very good thin crust.  



We got our fortunes. I guess they didn't know I just had a vacation. And John's in my world quite a bit, so I don't know what to do with that. 

Also another odd waiter moment. He brought the check and we put money in it. He walked by and said "Have a good night!"

He didn't pick it up or ask if we needed change. 

To quote John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. "I don't think Buddy Holly is a very good waiter."


No comments:

Post a Comment