Friday, March 21, 2014

Chicken Tortilla Soup


John recently posted about where he and Chris went for my Craft night. The first Friday of each month I have the ladies over for food, drink and a craft project. It is a lot of fun and much laughter ensues. For the most recent one, I thought some nice warm soup would hit the spot. So I asked John to make the Trisha Yearwood recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup.

Here are most of the ingredients.



We boiled a whole chicken breast with the bone in to start.



Some onion and garlic to chop up.


John used the handy, dandy chopper.


A little butter in the stockpot. This has a nice copper bottom that really keeps the heat in.


Throw in the onions and garlic. This makes the house smell so good.


A little flour to make a bit of a roux.


All mixed up and ready for the next step.


Add the cans of chicken broth.


Secret weapon. A can of cream of chicken soup.


For that added creaminess, half and half. Definitely not for the lactose intolerant.


Some cumin, secret of chefs from Mexico. Or at least the one John cooked with in Mexico.


A packet of fajita mix.


Some salsa. We like the store brand. It is good and comes with fuel credits!


Then we threw it all in the crockpot to stay warm for Craft night.



We added beans.

And more beans.


And corn.


Then I shredded up the chicken breast. I have to admit, this was my only job and I didn't shred it as much as I should have. No fault of John's. He thought I could handle it.


That went into the pot next.


I forgot to take photos of the finished product which was garnished with tortilla chips, Mexican cheese and sour cream.  It was great and there were plenty of leftovers.

Here's the recipe!

My Craft night companions loved it too.  But that is all I can say, because what happens at Craft night, stays at Craft night.

No comments:

Post a Comment