Sunday, June 5, 2016

GFP Day 41 - Hash and Scotch Eggs

What a combo! Actually, I have been wanting hash for so long, I bought a couple cans of diced potatoes about a year ago and hadn't used them yet. I love the taste of canned potatoes! I also like to use potatoes that I have baked, then chilled and diced (like "home fries") or frozen potato chunks like Mr. Dell's. I'll also dice up half an onion and the rest of our leftover ham. 




2 cans of diced potatoes. 




Heat up the skillet with a couple tablespoons of bacon grease (I never throw it out...it refrigerates for a long time and really adds flavor to the fried potatoes). 


After seasoning with Lawry's seasoned salt and some pepper, I cooked the potatoes for 5-10 minutes.  Then I add the diced onion and ham. 


Cook another 10-15 minutes, then create a little space to put the eggs. 


Salt & pepper on the eggs, then cover. As the eggs cook, a nice little crust is developing on the potatoes. After 5 minutes or so, the egg whites are cooked and the yolks are cooked to a nice, runny medium. 



Ham hash & eggs...very tasty, and I have leftovers for breakfast the rest of the week. I satisfied my hash craving!


Now, Chris will eat hash UNLESS it has onions. Mine has onions. He says he'd like to try scotch eggs again (we tried them several years ago with mixed results.) I got a package of sausage out of the freezer last night to thaw, so it's ready. I hard boil some eggs by putting them in a pan, then covering with cold water. Bring it to a boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. 


Now into ice water. 


Stir up 1 egg for an egg wash. 


1 pound of sausage makes 4 scotch eggs, so I quarter the pound and flatten them out into thin patties. 


Wrap the sausage around the peeled egg, making sure there's no exposed areas of the egg. 


Coat the sausage-covered egg in the egg wash. 


Then coat it in breadcrumbs. 



Dewey wants some of that stuff!



Into the fryer for several minutes until golden brown. Our kitchen smells like the state fair right now!


Scotch eggs!


Looking good!


Plated up with some of our favorite local garlic brown mustard we got at the farmer's market yesterday. 


They really taste like egg mcmuffins! Very good, and they reheat nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment