Wednesday, June 1, 2016

GFP Day 38 - Chicken and a Biscuit

We've got some leftover chicken from the smoking I did over the weekend, so before we freeze the rest, we'll have some reheated for dinner. Smoked meats need to be reheated slowly so they'll retain their moisture, so I always do it in the oven. Don't zap it in the microwave unless you use low power. I'll do a hunk of half a chicken at 325 until it's hot. To go along with the chicken, I'm gonna make something I've always wanted to make from scratch, but never have...biscuits! I've always just made them out of a tube because it's so easy. We'll see if these homemade-from-scratch biscuits are better and worth doing myself. 

First, I'll make some buttermilk by combining about 1 1/4 cup whole milk with 1 1/2 TBSP white vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes and you've got buttermilk!


While the buttermilk is brewing, I'll sift 3 cups of self-rising flour and 1/2 tsp salt. 


Add 6 TBSP of cold, diced butter...real butter. 


Use a pastry cutter to mix the butter in, until you've got little beads of butter in the flour. 


Now, add the buttermilk. 


Mix until combined (I just used a fork). Then lay the dough out on a floured surface. Dust with more flour and knead/fold over about 12-15 times. Then flatten it out with a rolling pin to about 1/2" thickness. 


I found a plastic container that was the perfect size (and with a fairly sharp edge) to be my biscuit cutter. 


Don't twist the cutter...just push straight down for a good, clean cut. 

I had enough for a dozen big biscuits. Put them on a parchment paper lined baking pan and into the 475-degree (yes, 475) until golden brown. These went about 11-12 minutes. 

Pull them out and brush with melted butter. 


While we're testing a biscuit, chicken goes into the oven. When warmed, I cut it up. 


Chicken and a biscuit! We agreed that the biscuits are better than the ones from a tube. Very flaky & buttery. The rest will get eaten over the next couple days. Might also try freezing a few and see how they do. The web says you can also freeze them right after you cut them (before cooking), then thaw and bake when you want them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment