Thursday, June 30, 2016

On The Road - Georgia To Memphis

Slept in a little and headed out of Atlanta a little after 8. We'll gain an extra hour heading west anyway, so that's OK. We stopped at a Quik Trip for big coffees after we got out of town, and Jo started looking for a unique place for breakfast further down the road. 

After a short while, we were crossing the state line. 



Suddenly, we were in Talladega county and right at the speedway. I realized we were at another movie location and Jo insisted we stop. I did my best Ricky Bobby pose out front ("I'm not sure what to do with my hands..."). 


Just down the road from the speedway is this nice little stop for race fans. 



Perfect if you need that hot shower, water, or firewood!


THAT is a community shower!

Jo searched Yelp and found a place in Birmingham for breakfast. I had mentioned that I wanted a place with good cured country ham like I had when I was in the south with my parents back in '84. She assured me this place had it. 


Yes, it's called "Big Bad Breakfast". 



Gotta love a breakfast & lunch place that has a well-stocked bar! 

We sat at a table. Jo ordered the Big Bad Breakfast skillet, a mix of eggs, cheese, ham, sausage, onions, peppers, and diced potatoes. It came with a huge biscuit. 



I got a slice of country ham and I was not disappointed. It was great, and just like I remembered...salty, like bacon. 


They also make their own preserves for the biscuits. We both liked the blueberry. 





After we got the check, our waitress asked if we needed anything else. After saying no, she asked if we'd like a couple ice waters to go. We happily accepted!


It happened last night at dinner at Pappadeax in Atlanta, too. I don't know if that's just a southern thing or what! 

Maybe they just wanna make sure we stay hydrated?

Jo saw this shirt as we left and had to have it. 




With ice waters keeping us refreshed, we enter another state. 



We arrive in Tupelo and find the tiny house where Elvis was born. His dad, Vernon, built it. And it is REALLY tiny!




This is the same model car that the Presley family drove when they moved from Tupelo to Memphis. 



We checked out the gift shop, but didn't pay for the tour. Just did the free stuff here, then headed on to Tunica. 

Staying at the Horseshoe, which is a short drive into Memphis for more stuff tomorrow. Ate at a place called "8-oz Burger". That's a half-pound burger patty in that fresh-baked bun!


It was cooked medium-rare and came topped with lettuce, pickles, onion, tomato, and their special sauce. It was a really good burger, and too big to finish. 

We should have shared! Ready for a good nights sleep and more adventures tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment