Thursday, May 12, 2016

GFP Day 18 - Potato Skins 2 Ways

Tonight's dinner has 2 items pulled from the freezer...a pound of ground beef and a pound of bacon. The beef is from our quarter we bought this winter, and I picked up the Blue Ribbon smoked bacon at Hy-Vee for $1.99 a pound. I bought 4 pounds. 


I'll be making potato skins two ways...with bacon & cheddar cheese, and done with taco meat. I make the taco meat with a pound of ground beef, 1 1/2 Tablespoons of chili powder, 1 TBSP paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp salt. Put seasoning in with beef and cover with about 1 1/2 cups water. Break up and cook for about an hour, until the water is gone. 


Dice the bacon and cook til crispy. 


Taco meat is ready!


I baked 5 potatoes a couple days ago when I was making mashed potatoes for the beef & noodles. I cut the baked potatoes in half and scraped out the insides. I added this to my boiled potatoes to mash up. I then baked the skins for an additional 10-15 minutes. That gives the skins an extra-rich, deep potato flavor. Then I refrigerated them in a ziplock. Now, I line them up on a pizza pan. 


Season them with a little of the hasselback potato seasoning I made a few days ago (seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder), then into the 400-degree oven for 10 minutes. 


Now they're hot and ready for toppings...some with shredded sharp cheddar and the crispy bacon bits, and some with taco meat & cheddar. 


Bake another 10-15 minutes and they're done! 


Top the bacon/cheese skins with a little sour cream and some green onions we got in last weekend's co-op. The taco skins get sour cream and some homemade salsa. 


That looks good enough to eat! I feel like I'm at TGI Fridays! But these were better. 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment