Thursday, May 26, 2016

GFP Day 32 - Roasted Chicken and Dirty Rice

Jo has been in the mood for chicken lately, and it just so happens we have a lot in the freezer. We made Greek salad with some ingredients from the co-op this week, so we'll go with roasted Greek chicken thighs. I got them out of the freezer and seasoned them with one of our favorite, versatile seasonings...


Cavender's Greek seasoning tastes great on chicken AND beef. It's great on popcorn, too. 
After seasoning, the thighs go on a rack in the 400 oven for about 45-50 minutes. Looks like they're done!


Earlier today I made some dirty rice. My sister Julie made this for our family potluck a few weeks ago and I loved it. My family shares recipes quite often, but we all add our own touches to them. This one starts with 6 cups of cooked rice. For meat, I cooked a baggie of chicken hearts I had in the freezer (I still have about 25 pounds left from that case I bought from the locker a few months ago!) I also added the rest of the cooked bratwurst that I froze last week when we made bratwurst pizza. I diced up some celery, half an onion, and a red pepper (all from this week's co-op) and some garlic and cooked them for a few minutes in a cup and a half of beef broth. Then I added a little Frank's hot sauce, some Worcestershire sauce, a tablespoon of Cajun seasoning, and some salt & pepper. I put the rice in the crock pot and poured everything else in, then mixed and heated on low for a few hours, until hot...and the chicken was done!


Chicken thigh and dirty rice. No chicken leftovers, but there are now 4 double servings of dirty rice in the freezer for future meals!


No comments:

Post a Comment