Sunday, May 22, 2016

GFP Day 28 - Easy Like A Sunday Morning

Sundays are great for a hearty breakfast. John pulled a pound of our breakfast sausage out to make a favorite. Biscuits and gravy. 



We use a canned biscuit. Sometime I'm going to try to make a homemade biscuit and see if it's worth the effort. It's just so easy to pop that can. Even though I know it's coming the pop scares me every single time!




I started by browning the sausage. This is within my skill set. 


I took the sausage out of the pot leaving the grease. John takes over here to make the roux. Since the sausage is pretty lean he adds half a stick of butter to get the 50/50 fat to flour ratio. 
I also added some red pepper flakes to spice it up a lttle. 




Then he whisks and whisks. 


While he's whisking I put the biscuits on a cookie sheet. I love parchment paper with a light spritz of cooking spray. 


The roux is ready and time to add the milk. You have to add slowly. If you add all the milk at once it doesn't get thick. 
And it will get lumpy. 


The sausage goes back in. John added salt, pepper, and a little cayenne pepper to give it a little heat. 



The biscuits are golden brown. 



Then we split the biscuits and put on that good gravy. This should hold us till dinner. Now time for a morning nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment