Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 29: Etouffee!

Today's check of the freezer found something I'd had my eye on for a couple weeks. I couldn't wait to thaw this one out and have it for dinner. Shrimp & crawfish etouffee. I made it this past fall, and it makes enough for 3 meals...this one is our last one. I make it from scratch, and the recipe is a combo of a couple different ones I found. It is sooooo good, and one of my favorite things I make. I even make the stock from scratch using the crawfish & shrimp shells. But tonight, it'll be simple because I'm just thawing and heating.
We'll put the etouffee over that leftover quinoa we made earlier in the week, and some rice. We have regular rice in the pantry, but I also found some boil-in-bag rice. It's instant, but I like it because it doesn't stick together.


Etouffee is mostly thawed. Into a microwave dish to heat it up as the rice is cooking.

Bag of rice is cooking.

Heat up the quinoa and mix it with the rice.

Etouffee is hot and ready!

Bowl of rice/quinoa covered with crawfish/shrimp etouffee. Awesome!

Yet ANOTHER successful and very tasty freezer/pantry only dinner!

As for the etouffee recipe, here ya go:

6 TBSP butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups diced onion
2 cups diced green pepper
2 cups diced celery
2 TBSP chopped garlic
Small can of diced tomatoes
2 tsp salt
2 TBSP Old Bay seasoning
1 quart of shrimp/crawfish stock (recipe below)
2 1/2 pounds of crawfish
2 pounds of raw shrimp

Shrimp stock: Remove shells from shrimp. Remove tail meat from crawfish shells. Save shrimp and crawfish to add in later. Put shrimp and crawfish shells into a stock pot and cover with water. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours. Then pour thru a strainer to eliminate any small pieces. Return liquid to pan and cook down (reduce) for another hour or 2, until there is about a quart of liquid left. This is your flavorful stock.

Melt butter and add flour to make roux (cook several minutes until it's the color of peanut butter)
Add onions, peppers, celery, garlic and cook 10 minutes
Add tomatoes, salt, and Old Bay and cook 2-3 minutes
Whisk in shrimp stock, bring to a boil, and simmer for 45 minutes
Add shrimp & crawfish meat and cook 5 minutes.

Serve over cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment