Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day Eleven: Lazy Sunday from the Freezer



About once every 2 months or so, I make homemade chicken vegetable soup. I make the stock using the backs and wing ends from whole chicken that I cut up. About 3 chicken backs and some water in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes creates a wonderful chicken broth.  To that, I add a couple bags of frozen mixed veggies, some chopped onion, some diced carrots, some chopped celery, and a couple diced up potatoes. And the chicken from the chicken parts. It makes a ton, so I'm always able to freeze a couple of large containers. This was one that I pulled out of the freezer last night. Thawed it out and put it in the pot.


Looks like there's some edamame beans in this batch, too. And the great thing is, you can stretch out this soup even more! I'll grab some bowtie pasta from the pantry, add in a few sliced mushrooms, and create more broth by adding the water I cook the pasta in. Just add a little chicken soup base.




Pasta is cooking, so I slice up the leftover fresh mushrooms we have and add them in.



Pasta is done, so I just dump it into the soup, water and all.



Now I'll add a large Tablespoon of chicken soup base to go with the extra water we added.




Mix it up and let it simmer for 20 minutes or so, and ladle it up. Mine is in a nice soup cup. Awesome stuff! And plenty leftover for me to eat it for lunch for several days this week. Jo will eat egg salad sandwiches for lunch this week since I made egg salad with the hard-boiled eggs I made yesterday.



Soup for lunch was great. For dinner tonight, it's the Golden Globes on TV. Sounds like a great night for pizza. One of our favorites is Papa Murphy's take-n-bake. They have a special every Mon-Wed of a large pepperoni pizza for $5.  About once every couple months, we get 4 of those pizzas and put them in the freezer. So tonight, I pulled one out of the freezer.



I always keep some cooked Graziano's Italian sausage in the freezer for these pizzas, so I add a little of that. It makes a really tasty pizza that we really enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment