Friday, January 10, 2014

Day Nine: Crispy Chicken Salad

Today I woke up craving a big salad.  There is a restaurant that has a huge crispy chicken salad with all kinds of veggies and hard boiled eggs.  John got some chicken out of the freezer and started some eggs boiling. 

For the last year or so, John has been baking his eggs to hard boil them.  For years this is one of the only things I have seen that frustrated John in the kitchen. He would boil them, do the boil then let them sit. Finally he got a tip, putting them in the oven.  He puts them in mini muffin tins and preheats the oven to 325 degrees. He sets the timer for 35 minutes and lets them go.



He is making a bunch so I can have egg salad for lunch next week.  He puts the eggs in a bowl with ice to stop them cooking.



Then he covers them with water to chill them right down.


We had some boneless chicken breasts in freezer that John got for $1.69 a pound and stocked up.



A little chicken spice.


Dredge in flour.


These were some big chicken breasts!  Or as we've been known to call them at our house, Chicken Boobies!



John fried the breasts up in some vegetable oil and got them crispy and delicious looking.  It smelled incredible as soon as he put them in oil.



John left for a bit and I was put in charge of chopping up the veggies and eggs.  There was some dispute over how I chopped the eggs and onions, but I told him that if he leaves it to me, I will do it my way.



Here it is already to put together.


Finally a big giant salad.  It was fabulous.  The chicken was still slightly warm.  We added some sharp cheddar and ranch dressing.



Now to decide what to have all weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment