Monday, January 13, 2014

Day Twelve: Swai with Lo Mein



Got some Swai (a really tasty fish that's also very inexpensive...frozen fillets are $2.50 a pound at Aldi) fillets out of the freezer. These are about 7-ounces each. I'll just saute them in a little olive oil after dusting them with some seasoned salt and some pepper.
For a side dish tonight, I had an idea for something Jo & I love, and we happen to have the ingredients for it in the pantry & fridge. Lo-Mein! I've never made lo-mein before, but I found a recipe online that was very simple and ended up tasting delicious (and very lo-meiny!)
Here are the ingredients for dinner tonight...



I got a box of thin spaghetti out of the pantry and put it in the pot of boiling water. Cooked it per the instructions. While it was cooking, I julienned some baby carrots, sliced some onion, and diced up 4 big cloves of garlic. Also, still had a couple green onions left in the fridge, so I diced those up, too.



Time to get the fish started, so I drizzled the pan with a little olive oil...



Fish is dusted with seasoning salt & pepper...



Let's get the wok ready! A couple tablespoons of vegetable oil...



First, cook the carrot strips for a couple minutes...


Add the onions & garlic...



Gotta get EVERY last spec of carrots, onion, and garlic. I can't stand watching cooking shows where they leave ingredients in the bowl!  Just a minor pet peeve....Get it all in the pan!


Drain and rinse the spaghetti and let it finish draining. When the veggies are softened up, add the spaghetti. This is about half of the box that I cooked. Gonna save the rest for a pasta salad tomorrow. Now, add the lo-mein sauce, which is:
3 TBSP low-sodium soy sauce
2 TBSP Teriyaki sauce or marinade
1 TBSP honey
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Whisk it all up and pour onto the spaghetti...



Don't forget the green onions!

I added about a teaspoon of sesame oil. This stuff is very flavorful, and a little goes a long ways.


Now mix it up like you're a Mongolian grill chef!
Looks like the fish is about done...


Looks like the lo-mein is done.


 We've got us a tasty meal! And all from the freezer, fridge, and pantry! The lo-mein was a great side dish. It will also make a great main dish you add some thin-sliced beef or some shrimp. We will be doing that in the near future!






No comments:

Post a Comment