Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day Eighteen: Sunday Breakfast and Nachos!



We were up early this morning and I decided to make a big breakfast. I actually started planning on it last night when we made the pizza for dinner. After pulling the pizza out of the oven, I turned it down to 400 and put the 7 small potatoes we had left in the oven to bake for an hour. I was watching Man vs. Food yesterday and they made a breakfast scramble that looked awesome. So that's what we're having today.
The best hash browns and potato chunks are made from baked potatoes. Once you let them cool down, put them in the fridge for the next day. Then, peel some of the skin off, and dice them up. Baking them gives them such a deep, rich potato flavor. So good!
Anyway, here are the breakfast scramble ingredients...


I diced up the potatoes and have plenty for breakfast and then some. We'll save some for a side dish later in the week!

Into the skillet with a little canola oil. I like to let them heat up and brown up a little.

In the meantime, I dice up some green pepper, onion, ham, turkey sausage links, slice some mushrooms, and add to the potatoes. I sprinkle in little seasoning salt and pepper.

As that's cooking, let's scramble up some eggs! We'll have plenty of breakfast scramble to eat this morning, and then have leftovers to heat up and eat for breakfast this week when we're in a hurry early in the morning.

Stir up the scramble...

Pour in the eggs and add a little cheese...

Now, scramble it!

When the eggs are done, dish it up. I sprinkled just a little shredded cheese on the top.

Leftovers go into a container to cool, then to the fridge.


Now, on to dinner! Jo wanted nachos. I got a pound of hamburger out of the freezer and made my favorite homemade taco seasoning. Put the hamburger in the pan. Add 1 TBS chili powder, 1 TBS Paprika, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp salt.  Then cover it with about 2 cups of water. Stir it up a little and let it simmer for about an hour.
I really like this recipe because it keeps the meat loose, as opposed to the packaged taco seasoning that kind of sticks together.

We've got nacho ingredients...

I cut up some onion. And we're using our favorite tortilla chips..."Food Should Taste Good" multi-grain chips.

Remember that guacamole I made last week? Got a package out of the freezer and thawed it out in a bowl of water.

I'm just gonna have a bowl with some meat on the bottom, then onions, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and a mountain of guacamole on the top. Just cut the corner off the ziploc and squeeze it out. Now I'll just scoop it up with the chips.

Jo prefers to build her nachos the old-fashioned way...chips on the bottom, then ingredients on top.
Either way, it was a very tasty dinner. And we had everything on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment