Monday, January 6, 2014

Day Five: Rosemary Chicken and Roasted Potatoes


Jo said she wanted some chicken for dinner, so I needed to decide how to cook it. Chicken is like Forrest Gump shrimp...you can fry it, batter it, bread it, broil it, bake it, roast it, grill it....so many choices. We had fried chicken last week, so I decided to go with rosemary roasted chicken.

We always have legs & thighs in the freezer (buy them in bulk at Aldi, then package 2 to a baggie). So out come some thighs, legs, and today's spices of choice...some chicken seasoning that I make (with seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and celery salt) as well as rosemary and a little more garlic powder.



Wash off the pieces of chicken, pat dry, and add the chicken seasoning...



Next is the rosemary...


To roast, I put them on a rack that raises the chicken up off the foil-lined baking sheet. That gives it more even cooking. I'm also cooking a couple boneless chicken breasts for our son.



Into the 400 degree oven for about an hour.
Now for a side dish. Let's keep the "rosemary" theme! It's roasted rosemary potatoes. Got 3 of them out of the pantry.



Scrub them clean and cut up into large cubes.


Now, we just need to add the seasonings...


I drizzle some olive oil over the potatoes, then sprinkle on a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary. I've also still got a big green onion left over in the fridge, so I'll dice that up and throw it on.







Pour it out onto a foil-lined pan and put in the oven. These will take about half as long as the chicken.


They're in there!!! I'll pull out the potatoes after about 20 minutes to flip them for even browning, then sprinkle Parmesan cheese over it. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes. I flipped the chicken for more even browning at this time, too.




After about an hour of cooking time for the chicken, we have a tasty meal! And all from the pantry and the freezer. Very good dinner!




No comments:

Post a Comment